Monday, March 23, 2009

All of a Sudden

Little Natalie's first birthday is quickly approaching...only 3 more days! And Mommy is in complete denial. A part of me wishes that I could keep her as my sweet, cuddly, little baby forever (or at least for a little while longer...). I was looking at her in her carseat just this morning and thinking, "First birthday or not, you are still a baby. You still look like my little baby, fast asleep in your seat with your pacifier and blanket. You still cuddle up close to me at night before bed and have your bottle. You're still drinking formula..."

I remember Gavin's birthday as such a long awaited and anticipated milestone. We couldn't wait for it to arrive! "We made it! We all survived! And look what you can do now, turning from a baby into a little boy.."

And here I am nearing my second child's first birthday with feelings of excitement, accomplisment, and pride that are also mixed with a touch of saddness. On one hand, we are saying hello to an emerging and blossoming little girl, but also simultaneously saying goodbye to those sweet and tender infant days. It went by so fast!

Just in the last 2 days, Natalie has gone from being a reckless, unsteady, "drunken" walker who tended to crawl more that waddle on two feet (and falling every 4 or five steps) to a master walker with speed and agility that came in a flash. Today, I didn't see her crawl more than a few creeps before she jumped up onto her feet and was off in a flash. All of a sudden, she has decided that formula takes a backseat to any finger food and she's trying to eat us out of house and home. While outside today, she insisted on "riding" Gavin's tricycle. She tried and tried and tried. She followed Gavin eagerly around the yard wanting and trying desperately to mimick everything he did. Her ear-to-ear, "oh so proud of myself" smiles have been constant today.

She truly did look like my sweet little infant this morning...but by afternoon, she far more resembled a budding little toddler. Whether Mommy's ready or not, it's your time to move on up and discover the world around you little Bean. I love watching you grow. But I can't say I won't miss (just a little bit) all the little baby moments we've had in the last 362 days. Each will be archived and treasured in my heart forever. Now it's time for "the big time." Look out world...here she comes!

(photo: my 'big girl' outside playing in the yard this afternoon)

And here's a short video of Natalie cruising through the house...and (of course) getting into a little mischief

No comments:

Post a Comment