Yesterday, the Senate passed their revised version of the "stimulus" bill and last night I had the opportunity to read some portions of the actual document (primarily those related to healthcare, medical records, and medical/pharmaceutical research). I am beyond shocked by some of the earmarks, special interests, and extreme social engineering at work within these pages. I can't say that I'm surprised some politicians would take advantage of our national economic crisis as the perfect opportunity to "slip in" their social agendas. Mostly, though, I am saddened. I am proud of the "old-fashioned" traditional American values that I was taught as a youngster and can only hope and pray that at least some of these values will remain intact for my children and grandchildren. I want them to be able to take pride in their American heritage and have the opportunity to pursue the "American Dream" in a capitalist society that rewards education, hard work, perseverence, and charity. Maybe I'm just getting older... but as a parent, especially, it's hard to watch the loss of traditions and traditional values that I intended to be the foundational building blocks for my young family.
I light of all the turmoil on capitol hill, I thought I'd post one of my favorite little videos of Gavin. At the age of two, he learned in preschool all about the American flag. He learned how to respect it (not let it touch the ground, get wet, etc.), and to be proud of his country's flag. He also, at the young age of two, learned to recite the entire Pledge!!! Of course, the words are a bit garbled, but he knew every one of them. I remember clearly reciting the pledge as a youngster, and I'm glad that he had the opportunity to learn these things from his teacher in a classroom amongst his peers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment