
When it finally started snowing in Indiana, Gavin started begging to go ice skating. I'm not sure he really even knew exactly what ice skating was, but it sounded fun. As he's never been on any skates before, I thought it might be a better idea to try roller skating first. Gavin was pretty perplexed by the idea of shoes-on-wheels. Last week, we finally got our chance, and the two of us headed to the rink. I had to remind Gavin that mommy hadn't been on roller skates in...oh...at least 10 years! Of course, I had to fall once. In an effort to keep Gavin on his feet, I fell flat on my butt, and Gavin laughed out loud (thanks, son). All in all, we both had a blast. I was so proud of my little man. He usually gets very frustrated when he can't immediately master a task, but he never complained once on his skates. He fell (about every 5-10 seconds) and each time he got right back up and tried again. At first, he couldn't even stand, and I felt like I was dragging a 45lb slippery noodle around the floor (I'm still sore.). By the end of the trip, he could travel pretty far taking little steps without holding on and had even figured out how to get up on his own after falling.
Could he look more excited? He just got his skates laced up.
Click on the link below for the short video I took after we had made the 10 minute trek across the floor to the middle section where the littler kids can "cling to the wall" (remember those days?) At the beginning of the video, Gavin tries to point to a boy behind him and exclaims, "He fell over too!" He relished in seeing some other bigger kids wipeout along with him.
Click on the link below for the short video I took after we had made the 10 minute trek across the floor to the middle section where the littler kids can "cling to the wall" (remember those days?) At the beginning of the video, Gavin tries to point to a boy behind him and exclaims, "He fell over too!" He relished in seeing some other bigger kids wipeout along with him.
No comments:
Post a Comment