
Yesterday, Natalie and I were playing with toys on the floor and to beat the boredom, I got out some of the board books. I handed her the I Spy book and said, "Do you want a book?"
She looked at me and said, "Ook!" Ok. So, I figured this was a cute coincidence. She's not quite 8 months old yet, and she loves to babble. She's got her Gs and Ks down-pat. I humored her. I took her hand, patted the book, and said "book." She said "ook" a few more times, so I challenged her with a different book. I handed her Goodnight Moon. She took the book, patted it on her own, looked me dead in the eye and said..."Ook." Now I was impressed!
When I called Chet and told him that I thought Natalie had said her first word, I think he thought I was completely nuts. "Sure...that's great...uh huh."
So, when Gavin had gone to bed, Daddy and Natalie were playing on the floor with toys. I went and got out a board book and handed it to Natalie. She squealed with excitement and quickly blurted out "Ook!" YES! And Chet about fell over.
Way to go, kiddo!!! I guess we have an official First Word.
Now, initially, I was rooting for "Mama," and "book" hadn't even crossed my mind. Is there a spot to put that on a college application? "...she's very studious. In fact, her first word was 'book'..." She obviously already has a leg up on me. I think my first word was "cookie." So, for all genetic purposes, can we consider her one smart cookie?
No comments:
Post a Comment